Our First Home

Our First Home

Monday, October 21, 2013

The Hatchers are Homeowners!


The deed has been done, folks! We are homeowners! Of course we don't want to be like everyone else and buy a nice new house. Not the Hatchers! We like to make things a little complicated, so we bought a foreclosure: a run-down vacant moldy house. Now the challenge is to make this unloved house a home!

The whole process of buying the house has been a headache (see previous posts!) This morning before we closed was no exception! Our bank called and said because our down payment was more than $10,000, they wouldn’t wire it unless I was there in person (small geographical problem of 700 miles between me and the bank!). This was a huge fail on their part because I called for all the specifics of a wire transfer last week and the gentleman at the call center neglected to tell me that juicy tidbit (I’ve never wired money! I've only seen rich guys do it in movies!).  Luckily after a few hours (and a few tears on my end) the bank decided they could overnight a cashier’s check to the title company (how this is any different I still don’t know!). I have to give them props for owning up to their mistake.

Luckily this is all behind us now. What lies ahead? Some holey carpet, a broken window, a rusted water heater, a broken dishwasher, a falling off rotting deck, and whatever else we find along the way! Stay tuned as we blunder our way through homeownership!

1 comment:

  1. Tear it up sis! Yep kinda literally in this instance :). See what you can line up for a spring break project and I will bring the grunts!

    ReplyDelete