Our First Home

Our First Home

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Closing!

Closing has been scheduled for Monday (10/21/2013). After a few delays, it's finally happening! The latest stupidity had more to do with the government shutdown than anything else. We had to file exemptions because the mortgage company couldn't get our tax transcripts (IRS was closed!). We also had to make some minor repairs to bring the house up to "average" conditions, the only lenders open during the shutdown won't lend if the house is below average. I just wanted to slap my forehead and say, "Duh! It's a foreclosure, of course it's below average!" There were some holes in the carpet making it "below average". I went in there and did a half-assed job repairing the carpet with a 2' linear strip of cheap blue carpet from Lowe's. The guy in the carpet section judged me HARD. "What are you doing with 2 feet of carpet?" he said in a judgey-judge voice. I was having a stressful day and I thought of a couple different things I could tell him I was doing with the carpet, but I was cordial.
I must have done an ok job, because when the appraiser came back in she deemed it "average". Riiiight! But whatever makes these people happy. I need the loan so I'll just keep jumping through hoops!
My contractor has been as itchy as I have to get started on the house. He'll be in there Tuesday to start painting! This thing is finally getting started!

No comments:

Post a Comment